Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Should rules about chewing gum be changed?


By Jessica Zamarron

Gum is not allowed at Waldo Middle School because it is really messy. At Waldo Middle School, if a teacher catches you with gum you could get a referral. However, there are schools that do allow gum. One of the reasons gum is not allowed at school is because teachers find gum under the tables and the janitor has to clean it. That is nasty.

I think that if gum was allowed, gum wouldn’t be stuck under the table. I think that students put the gum under the table when a teacher is coming so the teachers won’t catch them and give the students referrals.

I know I am not innocent, but I know that I am not the only one that chews gum
either. I think that most of the Waldo students have chewed gum even when it
is not allowed. I have gotten caught two times, but no referrals. If I was in
the Principal’s Round Table, I think I would mention that, but I don’t think
the principal would like that idea.
I interviewed a student, Christian Ventura, to see what he thinks about gum not being allowed
at Waldo.
Q: What do you think about gum not being allowed at Waldo?
A: "It sucks!!!!!"
Q: Would you like to change the rule about no gum?
A: "Yes, because then I could chew gum."
Q: Do you think that gum helps you concentrate in classes, tests,
pop quizzes or something anything like that?
A: "Yes, because it helps me concentrate a lot."
So if you think that chewing gum is okay and if you are in the Principal's Round Table than just mention that to him. Maybe next year, if we're lucky, we'll all be chewing gum!

No comments:

Post a Comment