Thursday, October 22, 2009

Peer Helpers lend a hand at Waldo


By Ana Barajas


For 7th and 8th graders, they will most likely know what a Peer Helper is. Being a Peer Helper is not available for sixth graders, so they might not know as much. Here is just some information on being a Peer Helper, and what Peer Helpers do.


My name is Ana, and I am a Peer Helper myself. When asking Mr. Sackley, the seventh grade counselor, what Peer Helpers do, he replied, "A Peer Helper does many things. They can talk to students when a student has a problem dealing with personal life, such as a girlfriend or boyfriend break-up, school, or any other problems a student might have. Peer Helpers can also make banners to put up all over the school. And since I can’t be there every time to direct a new student to their classes, Peer Helpers help new students get their locker open for them, and take them to their classes so they don’t get lost. Being a Peer Helper is just one of the many ways Waldo offers that allows students and to help Waldo become a great and friendly environment."


Now that we have a teacher’s take on the thought of Peer Helpers, what about a real Peer Helper? This is what I think about helping my peers:


I enjoy being a Peer Helper because I really like to get involved and help people, and I think this is a good way to express it. I also like to help students with social problems. I learn about them, and I like to give advice and help them. Realizing real issues people I am around and pass by every day (of school) shows what is behind the silence.


I shared my favorite part of being a Peer Helper, which was helping other students. As I hear every word they speak, I imagine myself in their place. I feel their strong feelings about the issues they share. By feeling as if you are the person experiencing, or has experienced, these problems, you can best make a good solution or a suggestion to help this problem or issue.


I have asked a few other Peer Helpers what they like about being a Peer Helper. Most replied by saying that they like to get to know the new students they take to classes. Introducing them to Waldo is one of their favorite parts.


"The new students look so curious, and nervous. Some of them look shy, but as they get into the routine, the shyness disappears! They also gain friends, which adds on confidence." This was shared by a Peer Helper who wanted to remain anonymous.


Many students around the world go to different schools, whether their parent or guardian found a job somewhere else, or for other reasons, Waldo makes it easier for the new students coming in to feel comfortable with the environment. Peer Helpers are students that can get along with anyone, and help anyone, ranging from 6th to 8th grade, boy or girl. Every secret is kept between the Peer Helper and the student when a student tells a Peer Helper. In my opinion, Peer Helpers are truly good influences to the students attending Waldo.

No comments:

Post a Comment