Friday, June 4, 2010

Counselors' dedication pays off for Waldo


By Heriberto Padilla

Have you ever wondered how people get to be counselors? There are three people in Waldo that are counselors. They are Mr.Curan, 6th grade counselor; Mr. Sackley, 7th grade counselor; and Mrs. Brown, 8th grade counselor.

Here are some interviews:
Mr. Curran
How did you get to be a counselor?
By having a genuine interest in helping people, being patient, and being a good listener.
Did you go to college to be a counselor?
Yes, 4 years of college at Western and then I got my Masters Degree from Oregon State University.
Would you want any other job?
No, I love my job. I especially love working with the students, staff, and families here at Waldo.
Why did you want to be a counselor?
I have always liked working with people and knew I wanted to go into a helping profession. Being a school counselor seemed like a good fit.

Mr. Sackley
How did you get to be a counselor?
I went to graduate school to get my degree in counseling.
Did you go to college to be a counselor?
Yes, you first get a bachelors degree and then you get a masters degree.
Would you want any other job?
No.
Why did you want to be a counselor?
I wanted to be a counselor so I could help make a positive difference in the lives of young people.

Mrs. Brown
How did you get to be a counselor?
I got experience from being a substitute teacher.
Did you go to college to be a counselor?
Yes, a total of 6 years.
Would you want any other job?
No.
Why did you want to be a counselor?
I enjoy it, and I like making my own schedules and careers.

If you have any problems go to your counselor and they will help you. I have been a peer helper this year, and you can also go to peer helpers if you need help. Mr. Curan runs the peer helper program, and it's just one of many ways that our conselors make the school better for Waldo students.

No comments:

Post a Comment