Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Could more passing time decrease tardies?


By Jessica Zamarron

I was thinking the other day that we should have more passing time. I interviewed some students and the vice principal (Mr. Wolfe) about what they think and if they would like the idea of having more passing time.
Mr. Wolfe:
Q: Why don’t we have a longer passing time?
A: "We don’t have a longer passing time because two years ago we tried that. We gave the students five minutes and it didn’t impact tardies."
Q: Is there an opportunity to get more passing time?
A: "We talked about it in the Principal's Round Table. We were thinking that we
might put some music on for four minutes and then after the music is over that
means that you only have one minute to get to class."
Q: Was passing time at Waldo always four minutes?
A: "It has not always been four minutes. We tried changing it, but it didn't impact the students'
tardies. Also, most schools have a four minute passing time."
Q: Do you think that if we had a longer passing time there would be fewer lunch detentions?
A: "I honestly don’t think there would be fewer because we tried it by giving the students five
minutes and it didn’t work. I think that if you set your mind to being early then you can."
Courtney Backer:
Q: Would you like to have more passing time?
A: "I would so that I could have more time to socialize with my friends."
Q: How many more minutes more do you want?
A: "I want three more minutes."
Q: "Do you think that if we had more passing time you or other students
might not be late that often?
A: "I don’t think so."

Alexis Martinez:
Q: Would you like to have more passing time?
A: "I would so that kids are not always tardy to class."
Q: How many more minutes more do you want?
A: "I want two more minutes."
Q: Do you think that if we had more passing time you or other students
might not be late that often?
A: "I do because they would be able to get their stuff without having to
run and the teachers marking the students late."
If you are in the Principal’s Round Table then mention this idea to the
new principal and maybe we will be able to get more passing time!

No comments:

Post a Comment